Meet The Chaperones

We have been blessed with the opportunity to bring 30 pairs of hands to serve the community of Dorado, Puerto Rico. 8 of these pairs of helping hands belong to First Congregational adults who are eager to lead, guide and learn from the 22 youth going on the trip. 

Image result for hurricane maria


Larry Dansky:

My name is Larry Dansky, and I am thrilled to be able to join our First Cong youth on this mission trip to Puerto Rico. I retired as a rural family physician and moved to Colorado 6 years ago to be closer to family, particularly the two most beautiful grandchildren around. My wife (Kathy) and I joined First Cong 5 years ago. I have served the church as a member of the Board of Spiritual Life and have just completed a year as the church moderator. In addition to spending as much time as possible with my grandchildren, I enjoy hiking and volunteering in the community.

I’ve been on youth mission trips as a youth leader at my previous church, and traveled to Haiti and Ethiopia on medical mission trips in years past. With each trip I’ve met many people, learned much about the local communities, and have returned with an appreciation for the resilience of the people I’ve been able to serve. I am very excited to participate with our youth to assist in hurricane relief in Puerto Rico this summer.

 


Jean Abbott:

Hi all!! I am looking forward to this trip so much – I want to learn about you all, my fellow chaperones and particularly about Puerto Rico, and what they have been going through as a neglected part of the greater United States.
Since I’m 70 years old, I may not keep up with you all, but I’ve been on multiple church rebuilding work camps to New Orleans after Katrina, to Staten Island after Superstorm Sandy, and to Houston most recently. And I enjoy working hard to help others and get to know their lives. I’ve been part of this church for several decades, and I like the fact that we are all searching for ways to be our best selves and hoping to bend the arc of history just a bit toward what is good. In my other lives, I am a retired Emergency Medicine doctor and taught at the medical school for 35 years, and now teach Ethics and Palliative care (ask me what that is!!) around the campus and around the state. And I have a great husband, Rick, now for 47 years. We love biking, walking our dog Millie, and exploring the world 

  

Bill Forbes:


I have been a member of the church since 2001 and have participated in the youth program in some fashion since then.  I am a counselor in private practice and love my job.  I ran my first counseling session in 1971.  I love the out of doors and spend as much time there as possible.  Many of my hobbies involve some aspect of sports and the outdoors.  Having been a high school English teacher in my early years, I have continued to be a reader.  While I like non fiction mostly having to do with some form of spirituality, I especially like novels.   My grandmother owned a bookstore in my hometown in Illinois and I have fond memories of hanging out with her reading at her store.  Another important part of my life is my 50 year marriage to Bonney.  We continue to live, grow, work and play together. A true blessing.

Image result for bill forbes boulder 

Jessica Ostwald:

Hello everyone! I feel so blessed to be able to go on this trip with the FCC Youth. Thanks to my grandparents joining over 50 years ago, I grew up at First Congregational. As a youth, I participated in the bell choir and the youth choir. As a young adult, I have taught Sunday School for the past 2 years. I am so excited to experience something new with such a fun and enthusiastic group!
I have a strong passion for travel, and have been to 13 countries, including Brazil where I did work with Habitat for Humanity. In my free time, I like to hike with my dog, read, and spend time with friends and family. I am happiest when I am outside, helping others, and experiencing new things- I am thinking I will get to do all of these while on this trip!





 


 

Comments

  1. Chris Braudaway-BaumanMay 27, 2019 at 5:07 AM

    I'm looking forward to our time together in Puerto Rico. I joined First Congregational as Senior Minister at the beginning of 2016 and I'm excited about this next great adventure. I know we'll do good work together, but I'm especially glad to have this extended time to get to know our youth better and to build a sense of community and support with each other.

    I've been on several church mission trips - to Appalachia when I was in high school, to Mexico in college, to Nicaragua and El Salvador in seminary, and many service projects closer to home. I love the work and I love the friendships that get formed as we serve side by side.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Arriving

Day 4: Learning